Monday, November 16, 2009

The following preview is rated...




In my local movie theater back home there has been a change that has really hurt my movie going experience. We all go to watch the movie, but sitting through the previews is fun just to pick out what you might come back to see next. But something has changed. The previews have now turned into everyone's worst nightmare...advertisements.

I go to the movies to get away from all of the commercials I see whenever I turn on the tube. My movie going experience has died. I loved going in, watching the previews and then seeing the movie I just payed all the money burning a hole in my pocket. Now it feels like I never left my house. If I wanted to sit through advertisements, I could've stayed home and waited for the previews to hit the television. Instead I'm seeing the same things from when I'm watching 30 Rock to the movie The Rock. I can't stand it and neither can my friends who go with me. It brings up a sense of Nostalgia, the good ol' days when you could leave your worries behind and just watch a nice movie no strings attached. Now I see a commercial for The National Guard I've seen a hundred times at home and then see GI Joe, greatly taking away from my viewing pleasure.

I can see why movies do it. The ads bring in added revenue, but it upsets people who came to get away from that and watch some previews that would get them excited for the next movie going adventure. The book talks about how hard it is for movies to make money due to rising film costs. Also with the invention of the Internet, movies can get leaked and stolen before even hitting video. This is a great strain on the movie industry so the extra revenue is a necessity.
It makes sense for the movie industry, I'm just not a fan. That damn Internet. Hopefully people will learn and we can go back to the good ol' days where I go to my theater sit down and let the theater take my cares away and draw me into the wonderful world of the big screen.


1 comment:

Phineas Gage said...

GOOD meditation here, Kane!

MY BIG suggestion - don't leave your http's dangling out there - EMBED them by hyperlinksing them via a textual reference.

Does this make sense?

Let's talk about this in class, if need be.

Dr. W